….a very exciting secret! Drum roll please. Shout it from the roof tops. Junk By Jenny is opening a store. I’m excited beyond belief that I am really taking the leap of faith. Just after I officially made the decision, this quote popped up on my news feed.
It’s a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you’re ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.
Two roadblocks (well, seemingly road blocks) always mentally stood in my way as I dreamed about opening a store and becoming a shopkeeper.
- I already have a full-time job. How could I ever run a store and have a full-time job? I teach business classes to high school students. I teach graphic design, finance, digital media, entrepreneurship, marketing, pricing, basics about business, and college-level accounting. DUH! These are the very skills a small business owner needs and utilizes. My store will benefit from me having this established skill set and it will only enhance my business classroom.
- We are raising a family. Won’t starting a store will take away from my family time? First of all, my kiddos will have a front row seat to see their mom chase her dreams and build work ethic right along side me. And second, Claire’s go-to play activity is “playing store.” In fact, when we toured my bricks and mortar location, her face lit up when she realized what was happening. She said, “Mom, are WE starting a store?” Her questioning of “WE” sealed the deal for me.
So, with those 2 roadblocks gone, I proceeded to take action on turning my day dream into a reality. I spent the month of May thinking, praying, and talking about this. I tend to read my horoscope after the day is done and most often it pointed me to taking this leap of faith. “WE” will spend the summer doing all of the obvious summer things like Little League, swimming, camping, road trips, and shenanigans. “WE” will also spend time in our store to prepare the retail space. It is my goal to open in early fall.
So, enough about the story, right? What are the juicy details?
I will be joining Just uS and ReMax Prairie Home Realty on main street in downtown Morris, Minnesota. When I toured the building, the basement space spoke to me. Although they were hesitant to bring down there, I knew instantly this was the future home of Junk By Jenny. The large space, old concrete floors, and “off the beaten” path feel were just what I was looking for. Since I won’t be open traditional retail hours, I will be out of the way and brewing up goodness in the basement instead.
As of now, I hope to be open 1 afternoon/evening per week and 1 weekend per month. I will still take Junk By Jenny on the road to Junk Bonanza, Market on the Farm and Market Under Glass. I hope to fall in love with the Pinners Conference in June, to make that an annual event as well. I am uncertain about my annual fall sale at my house. However, we can just throw a bang-out party at the store instead. We’ll see what the fall brings.
In addition to my retail space, I will utilize the large square footage for my personal workshop and storage. Finally, Junk By Jenny will be under one roof; instead of being scattered throughout two counties, in my garage, shed, trailer, and in my ‘burb. Needless to say, Junk Hunk it THRILLED about having a garage back.
I still have another trick up my sleeve that is oh-so exciting. In addition to my retail hours, I also will teach a monthly workshop and be available for private parties. Talk about the perfect collision of being a teacher and a junker. I will be using the summer to plan my workshop schedule and will have that available at that grand opening.
Speaking of a grand opening, who doesn’t love a good party? Expect one when it’s time to open. I image there will be awesome give-aways, deals, and yummy goodies.
Finally, it is important to mention my shop will be chuck of full of Junk By Jenny goodness, but I will sell wares from some of my other junker pals. Expect to find:
- The famous vintage flannels and hats AND pillows from dear junker friend Wendy from Winique Antiques
- Amazing signs made from vintage fabric and molding from another junker pal Melissa at Hello Sweet Melissa
- More cool signs and upcycled pieces from local lovely lady Nicole of Rustic Charm
- And…more I visit with throughout the summer.
I will also sell a vintage-inspired candle line.
I am most excited about being a paint retailer. My application has been approved and will begin training with Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint. This ancient form of painting is amazing in every way. I cannot wait to share it’s amazingness with all of you.
So, if you see me this summer with an extra bounce in my step, you now know why. Or, if I look dog tired, you’ll also know why. Cheers to the amazing things that are to come. As Hugh Laurie said, ” Now is as good a time as any.”