Something sure seems fishy here. We’ve got a vintage tackle box, who seems a bit out of her comfort zone, with the glamorous new look she is rockin’.
Wizard’s Power Clean
Chalk Paint | Lilac
Foam Paint Brushes
2 Fabric Fat Quarters
Hot Glue Gun & Glue Sticks
3M Removal Strips
Before | After
This grimy little gal needed more than just elbow grease. I reverted to my new favorite cleaner, of which I kindly “borrowed” from my husband. I should have attacked with some steel wool to remove some additional rust, but decided to let the imperfect flaws remain. At this point, I could have left the tackle box in it’s original manly state, but opted for the glam approach instead, by chalk painting it in a spring lilac shade instead.
I applied a few light coats of the chalk paint, not worrying about imperfections, as knew I would be distressing later in the process. I lightly sanded where the natural wear would occur and then brushed the antique wax over those areas. I gently blended the wax with a paper towel for a finished look.
The kiddos and I were “snowed in” with no school, each with a project wish list. The kids’ list included Valentine’s treats and boxes. Just for the record, we all consumed 1 piece of candy for every Valentine we assembled (common in most households this time of year, I assume). My wish list consisted of learning how to make fabric rosettes. After consulting a variety of YouTube channels and Pinterest boards, I learned they are easy to do with hot glue and fat quarters.
I was giddy over how easy the fabric rosettes were to assemble and have more plans in my creative soul to continue added these glamorous little bundles to future upcycling.
Although a vintage tackle box and fabric rosettes do not naturally cross paths, the norms are often overlooked in my line of work. I decided to do a cluster on the top of the tackle box. I glued circular felt pieces to the bottom of each rosette. As I pondered options for securing them to the tackle box, 3 came to mind. I thought about hot gluing the rosettes to the metal top and also considering adding magnets. However, I opted with a more easily removable 3M strip to the bottom each.
Tackling this odd upcycle took some courage. I envision this gem finding a new home for a crafter as a great organizer or perhaps a make-up artist loving this piece. It could be a fun way to store art supplies in a child’s playroom, too. Perhaps it will return to its original use if nabbed by a glamorous fisherman.