Sweet Lily’s is one of the floral shops in our town, of which I absolutely adore. Their flowers are simply lovely. They have fabulous taste with home decor and splash in some vintage pieces. Check them out on Facebook or at www.sweetlilysflowers.com. I am a “usual” in the shop. I typically have an all-access pass to the “back” workshop to see what they have in the cooler or the arrangements they are assembling. During one of my weekly visits this past spring, they had oodles of flowers heaping on this really cool old table. I joking inquired about the table. Before I knew it, we were loading it in the back of my rig.
Sander & Sand Paper
Before | After
The table was heavy as all get-out, but very easy to bring new life to. I was so drawn to the trio of pedestal legs. I did a quick sanding job, followed by a quick wash. I loved the obvious floral shop use, with the water rings. Most of them sanded out with not problem.
I painted the underside of the table and the legs a neutral khaki. For $2, I nabbed a can of “oops” paint from our local hardware store. I love the selection they often have. It covered nicely with one coat and some quick touch ups.
The went with my tried and true Minwax Jacobean stain for the top and it covered in two coats with no problem. With the stain completely dry, I added a few coats of poly to seal in the stain and to give a nice finish.
To give the painted portions of the table a rich finish, I wiped some stain over the paint with a foam try. With a paper towel, I wiped the excess. The detail on the legs is so sharp.
The table has two very sturdy and stately drop leaves.
To top it off, I lined the table with my newest (well, old) collection of vintage pedestal cups. Inside of the cups are single stem hosta clippings. They are my go-to addition to most of my floral arrangements all spring and summer. My favorite part of being a Sweet Lily’s customer with their flowers are adding touches of my own to the bouquets.
Sanding was a must. The sunshine and unusually warm March day meant for outside sanding.
I was excited to use my new favorite distressing technique with black paint. Using a sanding block, I lightly sanded the surfaces, with more aggressive sanding on the edges. This brought out the natural wood grains and chippy look well. I was pleased with the overlay of dark stain. The poly finish not only sealed the paint/stain combo, but gave the desk such a smooth finish. I kept the dirty gold handles original to the desk.
With the gut job and painting complete, my next phase of the upcycle was to determine what to do with the gaping hole inside the desk. I considered dropping a metal basket in, completely covering with a wood piece, or leaving the hole as is. I decided to use a metal sheet, adhered with clear silicone. Much to my surprise, the sheeting was sturdy, not flimsy.
This compact desk hinges open to a nice work space. It could be the perfect addition to a small home office or craft space. The drawers provide ample storage as well. Perhaps it will even go back to it’s roots, as a sewing table once again.